Chicken curry is a delightful and aromatic dish enjoyed by people around the world. It’s a culinary classic with a rich history that varies greatly in taste, ingredients, and preparation methods depending on the region and cultural influences. This recipe will guide you through creating a flavorful and rich chicken curry with useful tips to ensure it turns out perfectly.
About Chicken Curry
Chicken curry is a popular dish all over the world, and there are numerous ways to make it. It is a versatile recipe that can be prepared with a range of ingredients and modified to suit your individual taste preferences .
The origins of chicken curry can be traced back to the Indian subcontinent, where it has been cooked for centuries. Over time, as Indian cuisine spread globally through trade and colonialism, curry became a part of various culinary traditions. Depending on the local ingredients and preferences, it developed in various ways in different places. There are many different kinds of chicken curry available today, each with its own special combination of spices and flavors.
Chicken, spices, and a sauce are commonly used to make chicken curry. Depending on the region where the chicken curry is being made, different spices are used, but frequent ones include curry powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and chili powder. A number of liquids, including coconut milk, chicken broth, and yogurt, can be used to make the sauce.
In addition to rice, chicken curry can also be eaten with roti, naan bread, or other breads. Along with a variety of side dishes, it can be served with veggies, raita, and chutneys.
Chicken curry is a delicious and nutritious dish that is perfect for any occasion.
It is a good source of protein, and it can be made with a variety of healthy vegetables. It is also a dish that even inexperienced cooks can make rather easily.
Chicken curry is a tribute to the global appeal of Indian cuisine, with countless variations to suit every palate.
Whether you like your chicken curry hot or mild, creamy or tomato-based, it will provide a symphony of flavors, warmth, and comfort to your table. Whether you’re exploring its origins in India or savoring international adaptations, chicken curry is a culinary journey worth taking.
How To Make Chicken Curry (Stepwise Photos)
1. Take ½ kg skinless and well washed chicken in a bowl.
2. Add ½ lemon juice.
3. Add ½ teaspoon salt, and mix well with each piece of chicken. Keep soaking for about 10–15 minutes.
4. Heat 2-3 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium heat. Add following spices when oil turns hot.
- 2-3 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Stone flowers
- 3 green cardamoms
- 4-5 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon piece
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
5. Fry the spices lightly then add 3 medium finely chopped onions, fry the onions well until they turn to golden brown.
6. Add 1 tablespoon ginger, garlic paste and 2-3 chopped green chilies and stir for 2 minutes until aromatic.
7. Add the chicken, mix with all spices and fry for 2 minutes on high heat. Then cook the chicken on medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
8. Take ½ cup yogurt in a bowl.
9. Add 1 teaspoon red chili powder.
10. Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
11. Add 1 tablepoon coriander powder.
12. Add salt as per taste.
13. Add 1 tablespoon garam masala.
14. Mix the mixture well.
15. Meanwhile, check if the chicken has become well softened.
16. Add the mixture of yogurt and mix well.
17. Add coriander, stir the mixture.
18. Add 1/2 – 1 cup of hot water to adjust the consistency, add salt if required. Simmer for another 12-15 minutes on low to medium heat.
19. Check if the chicken is completely cooked and the desired consistency is done.
Chicken Curry Recipe
- ½ Kg Chicken
- ½ Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Salt adjust as per taste
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil
- 3 Onion (Medium size) Finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, Garlic Paste
- 2-3 Green chilies Chopped
- ½ Cup Yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves
- 2-3 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Stone flowers
- 3 Green Cardamoms
- 4-5 Cloves
- 2 inch Cinnamon piece
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala
- Take ½ kg chicken in a bowl.
- Add ½ lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt then mix well with chicken. And keep soaking for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil turns hot then add 2-3 bay leaf, 1 tablespoon Stone flowers, 3 green cardamoms, 4-5 cloves, 1-2 inch cinnamon piece, ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
- Fry gently all whole spices for a while then add finely chopped onions, fry the onions until they turn to golden brown.
- Add 1 tablespoon ginger, garlic paste and 2-3 chopped green chilies and saute for 2 minutes or aromatic.
- Add the chicken, mix with all spices and fry for 2 minutes on high heat. Then cook the chicken on medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Take ½ cup yogurt in a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder. Add salt as per taste, then add garam masala. Stir the mixture.
- Check if the chicken gets softened, then add the yogurt mixture. Stir the mixture.
- Add coriander leaves stir the mixture, then add 1/2 – 1 cup of hot water to adjust the consistency, add salt if required. Simmer the curry for another 12-15 minutes on low to medium heat.
- Check if the chicken and consistency of curry is done then turn off the flame and garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with roti, naan or rice.
- You can make this curry with boneless or bone-in chicken. But Bone-in chicken keeps the meat tender and juicy.
- Allow the curry to simmer over low heat once the chicken is added. This slow cooking melds the flavors and ensures tender meat.
- You can adjust the spice level to your preference by adding more or less red chili powder or green chilies.
- If you are having curry masala you can skip the ground spices.
- You can omit the whole spices, but gives additional flavors to the curry.